Earlier this week I was on the bus and the bus driver said:
"Excuse me we have a pregnant woman boarding the bus can someone in the priority seating section please give up their seat? Preferably a man."
I completely understand being asked to give up your seat for a pregnant woman. I guess what I don't understand is why the bus driver specifically called out all the men in that area. Is it really appropriate to expect a man to give up his seat to a woman? I am always grateful when a guy gives up his seat to me but I would never expect him to automatically give it up and I certainly wouldn't judge him if he sat down instead.
Girls:
If a seat opened up on a crowded bus/train and you and a guy are the same distance from it would you expect the guy to give the seat to you?
Would you offer it to him?
I asked my guy twitter followers earlier this week "Would you give up your seat to any woman on the bus/train?" and some of the responses were...

So guys what do you think, should it be just a polite gesture to give up your seat or should we expect it and be disappointed when we don't get it?






5 comments:
I think we should expect politeness for people who are old/handicapped/pregnant/with small children.
If everyone has equal rights to the seats on the bus, then why not give them to people who - you know - need them!
Our transit system is awesome for this, people don't need to be asked. Maybe it's a Canadian thing?
Yes, and no.
When I was 9 months pregnant, due any day, HUGE, I was on a very crowed bus. It was on the Miracle Mile in downtown Chicago. A little old lady offered her seat to me, but I did not take it. She seemed like she needed it more.
I moved, or was sort of pushed by the crowd to the back of the bus. A man in his late twenties got out of his seat and offered it to the HOT GIRL STANDING NEXT TO ME! So rude, horny dude.
Really, though, I did not like getting special treatment while pregnant. I felt fine.
I really needed that treatment when bringing a baby on the bus. Most people love babies, and are very helpful. If they are not, the baby cries, and everyone is unhappy. So take that, people with no manners.
Wow, that was long!
Very interesting comments in response to your question. Personally, I wait a moment to see if someone else is giving up their seat, but I always offer. It does drive me crazy when people don't do it.
I am the type of person to hold on to the romanticism of yesteryears.
I feel women deserve as much respect and courtesy as one can give. Age or pregnancy does not matter.
On the bus, I will give up my seat to a "regular" woman, one that is not disabled, old, or pregnant, if it seems like she could use it. I can tell when someone's not had a good day.
What I do like to do is open car doors, hold doors for them, walk on the street side of the sidewalk, or go through a revolving door first.
Ultimately, I think politeness should just be second nature.
I like to let everyone on the train/bus before me, which usually means that I'll be standing. If I'm sitting and more people get one, I'll just simply stand up. I don't like the whole grand gesture of "oh here's my seat." It seems too "look at me offering my seat." I'd rather just stand up and let someone else--whomever it may be--have it.
Post a Comment