Thursday, December 11, 2008

Quaker McQuakerson

I'm Quaker and I went to boarding school and this confuses TKTC.
Here are some bullet points about my like at Quaker Boarding School.

• All of the meals had vegan and vegetarian options which looked better than the meat option because 80% of the kids weren't meat eaters so they tried to please the masses.
• We harvested all our own veggies. As a freshman you have to plant potatoes. It sucked.
• On the weekend you had 3 choices.
1) Take a big white van to the movies (yeah it didn't look weird at all getting out of a big white van on a Saturday with 10 other kids)
2) Sit in your room with no internet but you could talk on you phone...fun.
3) Make-out in a classroom and "watch a movie". More kids lost their virginity in my History classroom more than I'd like to think.

• You could get expelled if you had a lighter or matches on campus. The whole main building was insulated with hay and newspaper so it could burn down in 7 min. flat.
• I used to "shike" (secret hiking after dorm parents called lights out) to my friends room down the hall to play the card game "asshole". It wasn't until I was in college that I realized asshole is a drinking game. Neat.
• I never spoke once at a Quaker meeting. I probably slept through 60% of the meetings.
• I almost got expelled for all the pranks I pulled as a senior. (more about that later)
• Quakers can't fight in wars. I can never be drafted. HOLLER
• It was very rare to have a snow day because over half the students lived one floor above the classrooms.
• When it did snow everyone would grab lunch trays from the dining room and slide down the South Lawn Hill.
• I graduated in 2004. We didn't have a typical graduation like most high schools. Girls wore white dresses. Guys wore suits. Everyone walked barefoot through the woods in a large stone amphitheater. (I sound like a hippie)

I'll share more later...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find this totally interesting!

Becca said...

Whoa! I had NO idea....fascinating. Thanks for the holiday card darlin' have a good one :) I need to hear more about this Quaker business.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin