Saturday, November 01, 2008

NaBloPoMo

I joined NaBloPoMo, maybe this will force to me to post more often.

For this post I'm going to be writing a little about my high school experience. I didn't have a typical high school experience like most of you may have had...I went to a quaker boarding school.
No I wasn't forced to go there because I was an awful teenager and NO it wasn't in Switzerland.
I choose to go to boarding school. Part of it had to do with Harry Potter (teehee) and the rest was because I wanted to attend a high school that would challenge me.



Day in the life of a boarder:
6:30 - Wake up! Try to grab a shower before any of the other girls get up. If you didn't get there early enough, you'd be waiting in line for a while.
7:15 - Mandatory check-in at breakfast downstairs.
8:10 - Girls collections and boys collections starts (similar to home room).
8:30 - 12:15 Classes
12:15 - 1:00 Lunch
1:00 - 3:15 Classes
3:35 - 5:30 Mandatory sport participation
6:00 - 7:00 Dinner
7:30 - 9:30 Mandatory silent study hall
9:30 - 10:15 Free time downstairs to mingle
11:00 - Lights out

We really had a packed day and that doesn't even include meeting for worship which we had to attend twice a week for an hour each time.
We also had jobs that we had to do around the school like serving meals, cleaning class rooms, washing dishes...etc.
Our living arrangements were; freshman had their own dorms on either side of the campus, sophomores and juniors lived on the third floor of the main hall and seniors lived on the second floor of the main hall.

The mail hall living quarters were separated girls end and boys end. Girls were not allowed in the boys dorms and vice versa. Unless, you snuck out in the middle of the night and "shiked"(secret hiking) or we had a night of open dorms. Open dorms happened occasionally throughout the semester during the 45 min. after study hall. They would allow boys and girls to show off their rooms and exchange KOBS (kindness of bearer).
A KOB is:
"A KOB is a note originally devised as a means of communication between Boys’ and Girls’ Ends. They are specially folded into a 2 inch square with the name of the person for whom the note is intended and the letters KOB (Kindness of Bearer) written on the outside. In earlier times KOBs were an important way for students to convey their thoughts and feelings to one another. Even in this era of email, students still send KOBs between the ends of the hall."

That's all I have for now.

Westtown

2 comments:

ANG* said...

have i mentioned how bizarre this is? oh i have. well yeah - i still think so :) i want more stories about this lifestyle!

TKTC said...

I'm with Ang- I LOVE this! I want a KOB!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin